Hammond Town Office


Hammond is a town in Aroostook County, organized on November 21, 1885, from the township Letter B R2, had its organization confirmed on March 5, 1895. It was incorporated as a town in 1977. Hammond is west of Littleton and northwest of Houlton in southern Aroostook County, clearly “off the beaten path” of U.S. Route 1, which serves those two communities. However, it has sustained and increased its small population over four decades. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

Read More »
Haynesville Town Office on the Danforth Road off U.S. Route 2A


Haynesville is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on February 18, 1876, from the plantations of Greenwood, Haynesville, and Leavitt. Each was formed from the unorganized townships of T2 R2 and T3 R3, respectively. Leavitt was deorganized in 1877. The plantation and town took their name from Alvin Haynes an early settler who lived below the fork of the Mattawamkeag River. In the village known as Forksville, he operated a store; about 1835, he and a partner built a hotel. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

Read More »
The Retreat Road in Hersey with view of Bear Mountain


Hersey is a town in Aroostook County, first settled in 1839 and incorporated on January 25, 1873, from Dayton Plantation, once the township of T5 R5 WELS. The town is named for “General” Samuel Hersey, once the proprietor (owner) of the township before its incorporation. Hersey was in the lumber business in Maine and the Mid-West, and in politics in the Maine Senate and House of Representatives. — Maine, An Encylopedia

Read More »
Hodgdon Village (2012) @


Hodgdon is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on February 11, 1821, from Hodgdon Plantation, formerly the Groton Academy Grant. It annexed land from Westfield Academy Grant the following year. John Hodgdon of Ware, New Hampshire, acquired a partial interest in the Westfield Academy Grant in 1802 and a full interest in the Groton Academy Grant in 1805. The earliest recorded settler, Aaron Perly, appeared in 1824. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

Read More »
Market Square Historic District (2001)


Houlton is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on March 8, 1831, from Houlton Plantation. In 1834 it annexed land from the Williams College Grant. As the shire town (county seat) of Aroostook County, Houlton hosts the County offices, including the Superior Court, and serves as a commercial and professional center for southern Aroostook County.  As with many communities, its traditional downtown shares development with strip commercial areas along its highways. This small city is surrounded by forests and farms where the potato industry remains an important economic asset. — Maine, An Encylopedia

Read More »
Gov. Milliken House in Island Falls

Island Falls

Island Falls is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on February 27, 1872, from Island Falls Plantation, once the township T4 R4 WELS. The first white settlers arrived in 1842, just as the state’s northern boundary was finally settled. Levi Sewall was one, and he later bought a one-mile square tract, including the falls. His sons continued as active local citizens: David, a lumberman and county commissioner; Samuel, a farmer; and William, who kept the large homestead built by his father. William Sewall also became a wildlife guide and companion to Theodore Roosevelt in the 1870s, as chronicled in the book Becoming Teddy Roosevelt: How a Maine Guide Inspired America’s 26th President. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

Read More »
Village of Limestone


Limestone is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on February 26, 1869, from Limestone Plantation, itself formally organized in 1855 from the township E R1 WELS. Settled in 1849 by General Mark Trafton of Bangor, then the Customs Officer at Fort Fairfield, it was named for the lime deposits found there. Limestone was home to Loring Air Force Base until it was closed in the 1990s. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

Read More »
Linneus Village


Linneus is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on March 19, 1836, from Linneus township T2. The land was granted to Harvard College in 1804 by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, to endow a botany professorship and was named for the Swedish botanist Carolus Linnaeus (1707-1778). A founder of the Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences and a physician, he established the basic method for classifying plants that is still in use. The first settler, Daniel Neal, arrived in 1826, with others following a few years later, encouraged by the establishment of a military post in Houlton and the building of a military supply road to that post. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

Read More »
Southern Aroostook Agricultural Museum in Littleton


Littleton is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on March 18, 1856, from half each of the Williams College (1800) and Framingham Academy (1801) grants. Located in potato country just north of Houlton, Littleton is split by U.S. Route 1 and borders Canada on its east. It is home to the Southern Aroostook Agricultural Museum, established in 2002, located in the former Littleton Consolidated School on U.S. Route 1. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

Read More »
Ludlow Town Hall on the Ludlow Road


Ludlow is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on March 21, 1864, from Belfast Academy Grant Plantation, itself organized in 1840. Ludlow is a “half-township;” New Limerick occupies the other half of the original township just south of Ludlow and just west of the northern portion of Houlton. In the 1880’s Ludlow had two sawmills in operation. Its primary economic activity was in farming: mostly oats, wheat, and potatoes. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

Read More »