Village of Limestone
U.S. Route 1A in the Main Village (2003)

Limestone is a town in Aroostook County, incorporated on February 26, 1869, from Limestone Plantation, itself formally organized in 1855 from the township E R1 WELS. Settled in 1849 by General Mark Trafton of Bangor, then the Customs Officer at Fort Fairfield, it was named for the lime deposits found there. Limestone was home to Loring Air Force Base until it was closed in the 1990s. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

GPS Coordinates

46°54′25″N 67°51′46″


Census Locations

1850 Census

Letter E, Range 1

1860 Census

Letter K, Range 2
Limestone Plantation

1870 Census

K, Range 2

1880 Census

Letter K Plantation

Grid Location


Associated Place Names

Brown Corner, Cote Corner, Four Corners, Grass Corner, Morris Corner, and Somers Corner