Gleanings from some old New Brunswick newsletters from the 1990s…
Problems with census records
1. Not everyone was counted.
2. People gave false info for religious reasons.
(The Lord sent a plague on Israel because King David did a census).
3. Gave false info to look good.
4. Not universal agreement on what the questions meant–different ethnic groups, sections of the country, or religious groups have different meanings for the same word— aunt, uncle, cousin could have different meanings.
5. Info given by the neighbors.
6. Search for a particular person not just an area so you don’t assume with a right name it is the right person.