Masardis is a town in Aroostook County incorporated on March 21, 1839, from the township T10 R5 WELS. The Aroostook River winds through the middle of the town. Thomas Goss of Danville (Auburn) arrived with his family in 1833 and became the first settler, creating a homestead on the west bank of the Aroostook River opposite the mouth of the St. Croix stream. Others followed during the 1830s. Masardis village is located there in what was called the “Disputed Territory,” which led to the Aroostook War.
In 1839 a fort or breastwork with artillery was built where the St. Croix joined the Aroostook. During the Aroostook War, troops were stationed here. They made a brief foray above Fort Fairfield, then retreated back to Masardis with no casualties. — Maine, An Encyclopedia