Fort Fairfield

Downtown Fort Fairfield (2016)

Fort Fairfield is a town in Aroostook County, settled in 1816 and incorporated on March 11, 1858, from Plantation D R1 and all of the Plymouth Grant lying southeast of the Aroostook River. It annexed Sarsfield Plantation in 1867. Fort Fairfield, established to protect the area during the Aroostook War, took its name from Maine Governor John Fairfield. The original fort (1839-1843), a duplicate of Fort Kent, was dismantled in 1862. A replica of the blockhouse was built in 1976 and is located in a small, quiet park just off Main Street. — Maine, An Encyclopedia

GPS Coordinates

46°46′8″N 67°50′9″W

 

Census Locations

1850 Census

Letter D, Range 1,
Plymouth Grant

1860 Census

Sarsfield Plantation
Fort Fairfield

1870 Census

Fort Fairfield

1880 Census

Fort Fairfield & Village of Fort Fairfield

Grid Location

T13 R1 WELS and T14 R1 WELS

Associated Place Names

Goodrich, Goodwin, Green Ridge, Houghtonville, Madawaska, Maple Grove, McShea, Somers Corner, and Stevensville